Thursday 4 February 2016

Our Heat Pump Energy Savings

I wrote this last year at the end of our first winter with the heat pump in service and posted it to Facebook. 

Finally had a chance to evaluate how much less energy we used to heat the house this past winter versus the winter 2013/2014 now that we have the heat pump installed. I evaluated over the period November to May in each winter.
In order to normalize the energy numbers based on weather variations I downloaded heating degree day (HDD) data from Environment Canada which accounts for weather variations.
So, the energy used per heating degree day (kwh/HDD) for this year was 19% lower than last year. In terms of $/HDD, our energy bill was 16% lower though I did not adjust for changes in the rate Newfoundland Power Inc. charges.

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking into heat pumps, as I would like to save energy if possible and I have been hearing that these do that. Luckily I came across your post which showed me a great example of about how much it saves energy. I think I will be getting one soon. Thank you for sharing your experience with the heat pump.

    ReplyDelete